The Red Fort or the Lal Quila, positioned on the western bank of the River Yamuna forms the magnificent showpiece of Mughal emperor Shah Jahan's medieval walled city Jahanabad the ancient name of Old Delhi. The sandstone fortress include majestic audience halls, marble palaces adorned with superb pietra dura once embedded with expensive stones, a market place where the royal family used to shop, a mosque, gardens with marble fountains, plaza, baths and many more. The Red Fort is enclosed by almost 2.5 km of fortification walls which fluctuate in height from 18.5 m (60ft) at its uppermost watch towers on the river side to 33m on the city side and is bounded by a moat having depth of 9 m. It was at this juncture, Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru, the first Prime Minister of India, hoisted the Indian National flag on 15 August 1947 memorializing the conclusion of the British colonial rule. Each year on Independence Day, the Prime Minister of India addresses massive crowds that assemble in the Maidan (ground) and overlook the fort, from Lahore gate of Red Fort.
No responses found. Be the first to comment...